Dr. Kai-Oliver Giesa
Dr Kai-Oliver Giesa specialises in legal issues relating to corporate purchasing, production and distribution. He advises his clients in particular on the drafting and negotiation of operational contracts (e.g. framework supply agreements, purchase agreements, project agreements, service agreements, quality assurance agreements, logistics agreements and general terms and conditions) and supports them both in enforcing and defending claims arising from the same. Another focus of his work is in the area of product liability. Here, he supports his clients, inter alia, in connection with claims for subsequent performance, claims for damages as well as product warnings and product recalls.
Dr Giesa also has extensive experience in setting up and restructuring distribution systems. In this context, he also regularly drafts authorised dealer agreements, commercial agency agreements, franchise agreements, commission agreements and brokerage agreements.
After studying law at the Albert Ludwig University in Freiburg, he completed his doctorate there on a legal history topic. He completed his legal traineeship at the Regional Court of Freiburg and, among others, at Robert Bosch GmbH in Stuttgart. From 2010 to 2021, he worked as a lawyer at CMS Hasche Sigle in Stuttgart. In 2014, he supported a US conglomerate as part of a secondment. He has also been a fellow of the Academy for American and International Law, Dallas, Texas, USA, since 2018. Dr Giesa has been a partner at SNP Schlawien since the beginning of 2021.
Guideline "Corporate Due Diligence in Supply Chains Act" (in German)
- Giesa, Kai-Oliver: Corona-Pandemie und Ihre Auswirkungen - Entwicklung von Haftungsregelungen in Lieferverhältnissen, Trade Journal "Plus - Elektronikfertigung", 2021, Issue 6, Page 681
- Giesa, Kai-Oliver; Domisch, Jörg: Zur Ersatzfähigkeit von Personalkosten, in: Zeitschrift für Vertriebsrecht, Heft 5/2020, C.H. Beck, München, Seite 298 ff.
- Giesa, Kai-Oliver: Lieferverträge in Zeiten des Coronavirus, in: Der Betrieb, Heft 13/2020, Handelsblatt Fachmedien, Düsseldorf, M18
- Giesa, Kai-Oliver; Gräfe, Gerald: Von Ingmar zu Unamar – Welche Beschränkungen der Rechts- und Gerichtswahlfreiheit ergeben sich aus der Entscheidung des EuGH vom 17.10.2013, C-184/12, in: Zeitschrift für Vertriebsrecht, Heft 1/2014, C.H. Beck, München, Seite 29 ff.
- Giesa, Kai-Oliver; Gräfe, Gerald: „Neuer Kunde" im Sinne des § 89b Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 1 HGB – Produktbezogener Neukundenbegriff, in: Zeitschrift für Vertriebsrecht, Heft 5/2014, C.H. Beck, München, Seite 287 ff.
- Supply chain due diligence act - effects on practice, IHK Südlicher Oberrhein, 02.02.2022
- Force Majeure - Practical Tips for Reducing Risks, FED Conference Talks, Fachverband Elektronik-Design e.V., 23.11.2020
- Incoming goods inspection - Underestimated obligation of the buyer, NORTEC Forum - Trade Fair for Production (Hamburg Messe), 21.01.2020
- Warranty and liability in sales contracts - content of the claim for subsequent performance and bearing of costs under the new section 439 of the German Civil Code (BGB), client event, 10.10.2018
- Amendment of the liability for defects under the German Civil Code (BGB) as of 01.01.2018 - Increasing the liability risk in the supply chain, FED Conference, Fachverband Elektronik-Design e.V., 27.09.2018
- Ineffective clauses in distribution and supply contracts: "Known and proven" does not necessarily mean "effective", client event, 20.02.2018
- Product recall - legal basics and practical tips, NORTEC Forum - Trade Fair for Production (Hamburg Messe), 23.01.201
- Product recall - legal basics and practical tips, 25th FED Conference, Fachverband Elektronik-Design e.V., 21.09.2017
- Liability and warranty in international supply relationships, Annual kick-off event of the German Association of Materials Management, Purchasing and Logistics (bme). (BME), 31.01.2017
- Case Study Product Recall, Client Event, 15.11.2016
- Warranty, inspection and notification obligations, MiLoG & Co. - Effects of current case law and legislation on supply contracts, 24th FED Conference, Fachverband Elektronik-Design e.V., 15.09.2016
- Warranty, inspection and notification obligations, MiLoG & Co. - Effects of current case law and legislation on supply contracts, client event, 27.04.2016
- Liability without limits? - Liability clauses in international comparison, client event, 17.11.2015
- When is my company liable for suppliers and contractors - Implications of current case law and legislation for practice, 23rd FED Conference, Fachverband Elektronik-Design e.V., 26.09.2015
- Liability for suppliers and subcontractors, client event, 25.03.2015
- Warranty and liability: The 10 most important current issues for your company's supply contracts, 22nd FED Conference in Bamberg, Fachverband Elektronik-Design e.V., 20.09.2014
- Warranty and liability: The 10 most important current issues for your company's purchasing contracts", seminar of the German Association of Materials Management, Purchasing and Logistics (bme). (BME), 22.07.2014
- Drafting contracts with distribution partners, Forum Wirtschaftsrecht der IHK Ulm, 09.11.2012
- Liability without limits? - Possibilities of contractual limitation of liability, client event, 16.11.2011
- Special course for trainee lawyers in the lawyer's station I in the Higher Regional Court district of Stuttgart, subject: drafting contracts, from 2011 to 2015
- German Bar Association e.V. (DAV)
- German Society for Distribution Law e.V.